Monday, September 28, 2009

LARTIGUE




-When the viewer first sees this photograph they are addmediatly confused by a few questions. Why aren't the wheels round? Why do the people in the backround seem to almost be printed on a backdrop? However, I cannot answer either of these questions correctly. But, I can provide other points on concept. In the photograph there is a racecar which takes up just about half of the photo. To the viewer this creates a look as if the racecar is speeding out of the picture. This quality in the photograph and what is happening in reality.


-The angeling of the tires adds to the effect of the car being in motion. It seems as though the car is leaning forward. To me this creates a cartoon like quality in the photograph which seems to be somewhat consistent throughout the rest of Lartigue's work.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you chose this photograph to analyze - it's a bit of a puzzle. You've noticed that the race-car slants in one direction and the background slants in the other direction, this is due to the way the shutter exposed the film: from right to left.

    I appreciate how you move from formal to conceptual analysis here. Good.

    ReplyDelete