
The photo-book I am critiquing was created by Dylan Davis. His book is titled "A Mere Obsessions" and depicts the scene of a girls hockey game. The shell of the book feels fragile because of its string seeming and worn and dirtied cover. This reminds me of hockey itself and its dirty and weathering ways.
Dylan chose to shoot his photos in black and white. This is most likely done to affect the mood of the book and game, making them seem to be more serious. There is not any recognizable style throughout the series, but each photo emphasizes the subject which are all key parts to the scene of a hockey game. From these photos, I also get the feeling of coldness, like a hockey arena, from the gray and blueish tones.
The book follows the events of the game chronologically, which causes a build up of excitement the further you get into the book, like any sporting event. Dylan's book is successful in what I believe it is trying to do, which is to pull you into the game and feel the same action a player or fan would feel.
This is not your best written work, Jack, though the photograph of Dylan's book is very nice. I'd like to see much more inquiry into the conceptual nature of this book or a greater interest in the constructed mood.
ReplyDelete