Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tilt-Shift

A few months back, a issue of National Geographic featured a article which told the story of rafters traveling down the Colorado river. Now, National Geographic is known for it's breath taking photos; however, this article was very different. It shot entirely using tilt-shift photography. This immediately fooled me into thinking this rafting trip was entirely staged on a model size scale. Once I realized that this was an effect created by the photographer, I began thinking of this article in a less serious manner, despite the intensity of the subject matter.
After finishing the article I wanted to try this effect on my own, however; to my knowledge at the time, the only way you could achieve this effect was through the power of a thousand dollar camera lens, putting these ambitions to rest. It was not until months later that I stumbled upon a DIY article on the internet, which showed how to somewhat successfully create this effect, with using only the power of photoshop.
When taking these photos, I found myself most successful in achieving this deception, when in the picture there is a clear, single subject in the point of focus. (See photo of jungle gym)

No comments:

Post a Comment