Sunday, January 10, 2010

Picture book proposal

For my book, I plan on taking picture of the moment of leaving for school. I will make sure to include these qualities in the pictures:

-The bitterness of the weather outside. For this I am thinking of taking a picture of the snow or a thermometer to some how picture the cold.
-The half eaten breakfast because you didn't have enough time to eat.
-The dripping faucet head of the shower you raced out of.
-The math homework you forgot to bring to put in your backpack.
-The sun rising over the hills of Troy and Renssalaer.
-The exhaust of the car warming up in the garage.

These are just some ideas, obviously there are more. I also hope to some how display the dread of going to school everyday. Because this is not a physical quality of going to school, this will
not be easy. Because this action of going to school is rather heartbreaking, I plan on continuing this feeling through out my series of photographs. To do so, I will change my color balance setting to create a blue or gray cast on the photos.

I found this photo on the internet, the original
is on the left. In photoshop I put a gray photo filter and lowered the curve slightly
negatively. For my book I plan on
doing something some what like this to effect the mood.

This photo by Dylan Davis displays a scene. Dylan did good job displaying the mood and feeling of the scene. He achieved this by lowering the exposure and shooting in black and white. I am
considering shooting in black and white for my project for this same effect.

1 comment:

  1. This is good, Jack. I'm happy to see you've included a "game plan" for your Photoshop edits and that it's a good one! Am I correct to assume that you'll be shooting wide open (with a very shallow depth of field) for your still life shots: the half-eaten breakfast, the shower-head, the car exhaust, etc?

    ReplyDelete